Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on July 19, 2020)

Supporter
BGA
Here's the info for the next round of giveaway! The prize will be a $60 gift card from a board game store of your choice. This is different from our usual prize where the winner selected a board game up to $60 in value.

Starts: Monday, July 6
Ends: Sunday, July 19

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:
  • Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Add/edit info on a game page
Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions.

Now that the prize has changed, I have a question: Would you still decide to spend it on board game(s) up to $60 in value? Or would you use the gift card to supplement a bigger purchase?

68 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

18 days ago

I'd get Spirit Island

18 days ago

I would spend it on Death May Die!

ArrOOoo!

28 days ago

I would almost certainly use the money to get a boardgame.  I like the gift card idea as that opens up more options.  At this point I'd shoot for Maracaibo or Raiders of Scythia.

18 days ago

I would put it towards Stone Age and Tiny Towns.  😁

18 days ago

I'd use it to get Maracaibo, Jaws of the Lion, Sleeping Gods, or maybe Near and Far.  Possibly Pendulum (if it was usable on Stonemaier site) or Dinogenics (if the BGG market was an option).

Supporter18 days ago

Oh, I forgot to address your question. I don't see why not--BGG market gift card will be fine if that's the way you want to go

18 days ago

Well that is just brilliant!  :)

18 days ago

I too am curious if you would be able to get a giftcard through the developer @philryuh or would you prefer to have them based around the buying options on BGA?

Supporter18 days ago

Could you clarify what you mean by "developer"? I'd prefer to keep it to well known sources, but really, it would have to be at the discretion of the winner. So I'll try to accommodate as much as possible. I might have to clarify all of this in future giveaways after seeing how the first couple of rounds go

18 days ago

Like buying a game directly from the developers website store. For example with Chip Theory, they have TMB available on their site currently and they offer giftcards. 

Supporter18 days ago

Gotcha. That sounds good! It'll be a great way to support a publisher anyway. That makes me think... some day I'd like to try out some kind of publisher of the month kind of thing where we'd give away loads of games by that particular publisher (or a designer).

18 days ago

I figured it would be nice to support the publisher directly :) 

Giveaways definitely draw a crowd!

Supporter18 days ago

I noticed earlier that #Maracaibo dropped in price quite a bit today. Close to its historic lowest price now. I'd like to try it out some day!

removed

Comment deleted.

18 days ago

Ooh, what a question!

I could put it towards a copy of Mechs vs Minions... That would take a lot of the sting out of shipping to Australia...

Supporter18 days ago

Mechs vs Minions is one of those games that I get reminded of and take a glance toward every 3-4 months or so, and then tell myself no haha. I've played League before so it's pretty tempting considering its high production quality

Supporter18 days ago

I think I'd let the community pick a game for me.

Supporter18 days ago

Any..... game?? :D

Supporter18 days ago

Yeah. I'd want to give a general description of what I tend to like, but I'd like to have suggestions of 'this is what you are missing in your collection' or 'you should really give this a try because it's great despite your preferences'. 

25 days ago

Yes! I'd still spend it on board games. Now, answering the rest of the question is more challenging.  There are several games on my want list that are over $60.  The gift card would make it much easier to get one of them. #Wingspan (if anyone can get it in stock) #Scythe #The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle-earth 

Supporter18 days ago

Wingspan is currently in stock but you never know with that one xD

Supporter25 days ago

I would still use it on a boardgame. But to be sure, I would make sure to choose an actual boardgame website and not Amazon :)

26 days ago

I would use the gift card for expansions to currently owned games. The first ones that come to mind: 

Rails to the North (Great Western Trail)

Houses of Renaissance (Lorenzo il Magnifico)

13 days ago

You really need to get Railways To The North.  Oh yeah, soooo good.

13 days ago

I'm going to have to get it.  Too many people have said they don't want to play without it. 

26 days ago

Yes I still have a massive wish list of games so prob more Cthulhu Wars stuff for me :)

27 days ago

I think right now I would put it towards a copy of #878: Vikings - Invasions of England as I have wanted it for some time, but generally I think I would probably use it to pick up some expansions for games, maybe #Archipelago: War & Peace or one of the #Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game expansions.

Supporter27 days ago

27 days ago

A particular one or just all of them?

Supporter27 days ago

#878: Vikings - Invasions of England

I am very curious to hear about it.

Supporter27 days ago

I'd likely spend it on a new game/expansion but I might consider blinging out an existing game as my shelves are getting full!

27 days ago

I would just use it for the next game I wanted...maybe Pandemic Season 0....woohoo!

27 days ago

I would probably use it towards a bigger purchase. I still really have my eye on #Scythe but without any sales, its unlikely to drop below $60 anytime soon. Otherwise I may potentially buy another copy of #Root. I currently own everything for the game thanks to the last kickstarter, but my little brother is currently overseas serving in the military and he would absolutely love this game as a gift. Even just the base game.

27 days ago

Looking at #Root, #Scythe or maybe a combination of #Raiders of the North Sea: Hall of Heroes Expansion and #7 Wonders Duel. But now that a bigger purchase is possible, I might look at #Too Many Bones!

Supporter28 days ago

I assume online game stores are OK? 

I don't know if I would get up to $60 or if I would use it for a bigger purchase. 

28 days ago

I would probably pick up an expansion of some sort.  I recently ordered #Hellboy: The Board Game and could totally see myself picking up another bit to go with it.

28 days ago

I would go for a a giftcard that I could put towards a bigger game! Can you guess what that would be Phil??

Supporter28 days ago

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

Wait.... Actually, will it be in stock in a local store for you to be able to use a gift card? I'm thinking #Too Many Bones

28 days ago

I am so looking forward to my Trove Chest!

28 days ago

just took a peak on the trove chest, lord have mercy that is going to be a beast!

28 days ago

For surem. But it already takes up so much space can't be worse!

28 days ago

Lol very true! Do you almost all of their content?

28 days ago

You are right in your thinking...I am not sure what availability will be like further down the line, but I did email Chip Theory recently and it sounds like this new print run coming out in August will be a bigger more widely available option. 

Supporter28 days ago

Nice! 👍👍👍

28 days ago

I do not have all the promos and all, but I do have everything else

28 days ago

So you just dont have the small little promo packs? Meaning you have all the characters and all of the new campaigns like #Too Many Bones: 40 Days in Daelore and #Too Many Bones: Age of Tyranny?

If so....which extra characters and expansions do you recommend?

28 days ago

I think the bonus box that adds new encoutner cards is almost a must have.  As fat as characters that depends on what kind of characters you like!  I think Ghilie and Nugget are tops, but I am super excited about Dart, but have not gotten to play her yet

28 days ago

Which box are you referring to?

I have heard good things about all 3 of those for sure. I have also heard Gasket is pretty good?

28 days ago

I cant recall if that is 40 days or age of tyranny.  It is one of those.  Gasket is not my favorite, but my buddy loves him

28 days ago

I think both of them add a good amount of encounter cards, I like that the expansions are all fairly affordable though. 

Ya I watched a little play through and did not love what I saw. 

28 days ago

Nice! I like the game store gift card. Giving some local support is always nice. I think I'd go for something as close to $60 as possible. Or, I'd use it to snatch a copy of Imperial Assault for cheaper :) 

28 days ago

Awesome! I assume that rules out Amazon?

Hmm, I'd probably go with something under 60 and just get a couple of things. Expansions, accessories, or smaller games.

Supporter26 days ago

Hmm I'm not sure. I think Amazon should be fine too? More than anything, I feel like it would make it more tempting for the winner to not put the money towards an actual board game haha

26 days ago

Yeah that's why I was asking about that, haha. You want people to buy board games! I wonder if you could swing a deal with one of the big online retailers (GameNerdz, CoolStuffInc, etc) and get a slight discount in buying the gift cards on your end, since you could guarantee to be buying them regularly and bringing them business. Though I don't know how that would affect your relationships with all of the other retailers. Just an idea, anyway. Here I am trying to "wheel and deal" on your behalf, haha.

Supporter28 days ago

Nice! 👍🏼.  I believe I would be using the winning toward #Stuffed Fables and possibly some board game bling.

Supporter29 days ago

This is very exciting! I would look at all the games on my wishlist and see what ones are out there. If one isn’t too much over the $60, I’ll definitely splurge and grab one. 

29 days ago

I might use it to buy two expansions, rather than one game. Or some accessories.

Supporter26 days ago

Which game would you consider expanding? Since I still have a small collection, I usually go for new games rather than expansions.

26 days ago

I mostly tend to play solo at the moment, or with my young children. My collection is probably larger than my actual available gaming time warrants, and I've kind of run out of space. I also have to be wary of introducing too many games too quickly to my family.

So I'd consider getting Terraforming Mars, Marvel Champions or Shadowrun Crossifre to play solo. Or I'd be interested in expansions for 7 Wonders or Wingspan as my 7 year old seems pretty keen on both of those.

26 days ago

hah, that's probably a usual problem in the hobby: too many games, not enough time.

26 days ago

Very true. That's partly why I decided to grow my own game partners.

I'm playing the long game. ;)

25 days ago

Haha, smart, that's what why Mum did, and now she has a whole group of adult nerds who bring home all the games for her to play whenever they visit :D

29 days ago

That’s a hard question... I’d probably still go for the up to $60. There’s no game that I want that is significantly higher than 60

13 days ago

I recently played Roll Player - Monsters & Minions with my son; however, I would probably spend the gift card on Spirit Island.

16 days ago

I'll use it for Black Friday Miniature Market; want those datapacks. Cool!

16 days ago

Supplement a larger purchase. Can't get myself to spend $140 on one game but I can rationalize $80.

16 days ago

Hi,

Depending on finances really.

I mean having the money for shipping but not the game. Use.

P500 or pre-order or similar redlining and game budget is overspent, Use.

Hold service at Miniature Market or Kastle Games needs one more game for free shipping. Use.

Or, as the start of a multi-purchase hold pile towards free shipping. Use.

...and yes,  towards something nasty expensive or rare from Noble Knight games. Use.

...but don't forget the deluxe upgrades I can never afford from Top Shelf Games or Meeple Source or paints to experiment ruining miniatures with!. Use under intoxication.

I hope that is helpful.

cheers

17 days ago

Would love to win since I have my eye on some things 

17 days ago

You have piqued my interest, what do you have your eyes on??

New User18 days ago

I’d get Smartphone Inc.

Linked Topic