philryuh

Top Trending 2020 Board Games - Best Climbers of May Week 4

This is a weekly post where I present 10 games that have climbed the most in rankings based on number of views. The list is limited to games that have placed within the top 50 (otherwise most of the top climbers are all from some sort of price drops), and I am leaving out expansions (such as ones from #Marvel Champions: The Card Game or #Arkham Horror: The Card Game). Whenever possible, I will also explain the possible reasoning behind the climb. Enjoy!

10. #Chai (Rank #48) - Climbed +75

Game about tea with great components including Azul-like tiles, but is it a case of overproduction or does it actually deliver on gameplay? I have no idea but it's back for another Kickstarter! If you're a fan of tea, you should check it out.

9. #Underwater Cities (Rank #30) - Climbed +65

Kennerspiel des Jahres 2020 recommended game.

8. #Santa Monica (Rank #44) - Climbed +49

"In Santa Monica, you are trying to create the most appealing neighborhood in southern California. Will you choose to create a calm, quiet beach focused on nature, a bustling beach full of tourists, or something in-between to appeal to the locals?" Not sure why it's on the rise but it was covered by Tom Vasel, Rahdo, and other notable reviewers about 2 months ago. Approachable theme with fun tourist meeples wearing sunglasses and cameras! :)

7. #Rising Sun (Rank #47) - Climbed +38

No idea.

6. #Forgotten Waters (Rank #36) - Climbed +24

It's the year for pirate games and this is the hottest one so far. Tom Vasel loves it and everyone else seem to feel the same.

5. #Terraforming Mars (Rank #39) - Climbed +16

Remember my post about how there's an upcoming Kickstarter for a big box edition for Terraforming Mars with premium components?

4. #My City (Rank #10) - Climbed +14

Spiel des Jahres 2020 nominee.

3. #Wavelength (Rank #33) - Climbed +13

Hmm all I know is that Shut Up and Sit Down recently posted a video doing a remote play of this game.

2. #Res Arcana (Rank #17) - Climbed +11

Kennerspiel des Jahres 2020 recommended game.

1. #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale (Rank #20) - Climbed +10

Kennerspiel des Jahres 2020 nominee.

4 points by philryuh - updated 30 days ago | 20 comments | report | subscribe

nealkfrank 32 days ago | 2 points[-]

Wavelength had a playthrough on GameNight recently too, that might have pushed it a bit. 

philryuh Supporter32 days ago | 1 point[-]

Ohhh gotcha, thanks! That's another family/party game that I'd love to try out with the high schoolers some day. That and #Men At Work

nealkfrank 32 days ago | 1 point[-]

Oh for sure, it looks like a blast with all sorts of ages!

WadeB1977 33 days ago | 2 points[-]

I saw an expansion for #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale that added cards allowing players to spend their "coins" to purchase other items. That probably contributes to some of the uptick for this game.

Oh yeah! I completely forgot about that one. Still hope to try it out some day, maybe I'll give it a go on TTS

Courageous Bob 34 days ago | 2 points[-]

I'd like to point out I mentioned #wavelength in a comment somewhere in this forum so pretty sure that's what did it 😄

Marshwiggle92 Supporter31 days ago | 1 point[-]

Oh, that answers all my questions....LOL

Now that would be amazing, "u/Courageous Bob causes yet another game to sell out with just a comment in the forums" xD

Courageous Bob 32 days ago | 3 points[-]

We don't know it's not true....

theDL 34 days ago | 2 points[-]

#Santa Monica is also currently in the BGG hotness right now! Though again, I'm not sure why. Did it just release to retail or something?

philryuh Supporter34 days ago | 1 point[-]

Nice! You're my biggest helper for these lol. I really like those meeples :D (photo by Eric Yurko of What's Eric Playing)

Skurvy5 Supporter34 days ago | 1 point[-]

Looks really pleasant!

theDL 34 days ago | 1 point[-]

Haha yeah it is an attractive game!

removed

Comment deleted.

Skurvy5 Supporter34 days ago | 2 points[-]

Lol, I love the comment for #Rising Sun. Very insightful.  

philryuh Supporter34 days ago | 1 point[-]

You can clearly see my enthusiasm lol. I'm sure I'd enjoy the game but it's not one that my wife and I will ever get to haha

Skurvy5 Supporter34 days ago | 1 point[-]

Lol. The theme is almost an automatic turn off for me. 

Courageous Bob 34 days ago | 1 point[-]

The theme and the excessively overdone miniatures aren't great but I actually adored the mechanics of this game. The combat system is a lot of fun, much more interesting than dice rolling and I like how it's not all about winning but potentially scoring more points through losing and/or setting yourself up to win the battles that are important to you. Would love to see a re-skinned version of this with meeples or tokens in stead of so many miniatures.

LScott 30 days ago | 1 point[-]

I have followed the production of Chai, which has been very well done in many ways. I enjoyed the pnp of it and believe it is a good with lots of interesting decisions and fun play.