philryuh

Board Game Atlas Giveaway (Winner on March 1, 2020)

BGA

Here's the info for the next round of giveaway! (photo by u/BenjaminK)

Starts: Monday, February 17

Ends: Sunday, March 1

You will get +1 entry every time you complete any of these actions to contribute to our community:

• Make a post on our forum or write an article
  • Comment or reply on posts/articles
  • Create a topic
  • Refer a friend using this link: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/signup?referral (send this link to your friends and have them input your username under the referral section)

Each contribution is 1 additional entry and there's no limit to your contributions.

Thanks everyone for continuing to make this community a great one! And as always, which game will you be getting if you won? (Also, for those who are curious, I ran the last giveaway's result and am waiting on the user to respond so that I can make the announcement!)

4 points by philryuh - updated 2 months ago | 113 comments | report | subscribe

hardforcash 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

If I was lucky enough to win, I’d go with #Arkwright, #City of the Big Shoulders (if available), #Fields of Arle, #Maracaibo, or #Underwater Cities - with Maracaibo being the predominant choice.

HooperGirl 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Stone Age, assuming it's still for sale! :-)

Skippan 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

The entries requirements stay the same and I'm opposed to that. The same three or four people stay at the top just by replying to almost all comments whilst the site is lacking in images, videos, lists, information boxes with prices, number of players, designers, illustrators, reviews. It's nice that people respond genuinely to each other, but there are holes in the website and volunteers are ignored in a way

nealkfrank 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

I am honestly on board with your thought process. I like that the giveaway rewards interaction and being present rather than a random draw (a lot of places already do that and the entries get very saturated) BUT it could be a moving target each time. What would you suggest to improve the contest?

philryuh Supporter3 months ago | 1 point[-]

@nealkfrank @Skippan thanks for the feedback! First, let me check in with Trent to make sure all of the ways in which you get an entry is actually shown in the giveaway rules/description, because I'm sure contributing toward the game pages used to be part of getting entries. As for alternate methods, one idea I thought about was starting up "themed" giveaways. For example, one giveaway would be something like "Bounty Hunters" where everyone is on the hunt for filling in missing info on the game pages, or "The Gallerist" for filling up game pages with game images, and so on. 

I agree it would be fun to try some other giveaway options for those of us who don't have time to live on BGA, so we have a better chance. ;-)

Marshwiggle92 Supporter3 months ago | 1 point[-]

I could get behind that. 

I like the rotating options, not only does it provide additional information on the games it curates content, images, and new resources for users. 

HooperGirl 3 months ago | 0 points[-]

I agree it would be fun to mix it up for those of us who don't have time to live on BGA so we have a fighting chance.  😂

BackBurnerGames 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

NICE! I can think of many games with an MSRP of $60 that I would like to own.

LScott 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Thanks for this newsletter! Where can we see the previous contest's results? 

https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/JFoYA3QEFK/and-the-winner-is-

LScott 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Thanks! I posted my question too soon because I eventually found that post. 

xldh 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

I usually put Wingspan as my projected game to pick in the unlikely event I win. This time, however, I am changing my selection. I would simply choose an expansion (which I do not own) to a game that I do own... Any guesses?

I would guess either a #everdell or a #Ticket To Ride expansion. 

xldh 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Everdell it is.

Hey... I guessed right. 

rlupino 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

This is great...love free games.  

GarishMan 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

aahhh user response is plucking away at several contests right now. Did you see what is happening with board game t-shirt company, MeepleShirts? 3 no responses in a row.

So crazy that they're not claiming their prizes!

I had not seen that. 

What's happening? I'm not sure what you're referring to haha

GarishMan 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Meeple Shirts has a monthly giveaway as well, with 24 hours notice to comfirm the prize, they have been going since January with noone responding to the facebook message or email

successfulgeek 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

I am really interested in checking out #The Quacks of Quedlinburg or #Viticulture: Essential Edition

Skurvy5 Supporter3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Viticulture keeps coming up on my short list too. 

sdirrane Supporter3 months ago | 1 point[-]

So good.

Sliddell11 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Quacks is a great game and totally worth it! It’s a really easy game to learn that you could pretty much play with any group 

Yeah watching Quacks played is actually what has me interested in Wonderlands War too.

I’ve never looked into that one! Does it play similarly?

It's a bag builder, which is the only similarity. It is on KS right now and has drafting mechanics too, plus the Alice in Wonderland theme is my wifes favorite theme, so makes it an easy draw for us.

That makes sense. 

I really like bag building! Not sure the theme is up my alley, but I’ll check it out!

I remember looking up other bag builders like #Orléans, #Altiplano, and #Wonderland's War after playing Quacks and really enjoying the mechanism haha

BenjaminK 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Mmm...Altiplano... :) 

How so? 

I’d like to get either Le Havre or another large game, or potentially a few smaller games. It’s hard to choose between quantity of heaviness and quantity of games haha 

Marshwiggle92 Supporter2 months ago | 1 point[-]

So, have you decided if it will be one big one or multiple small ones?

Yes it’s a very tough decision. Le Havre would be a great choice. 

Yeah, it’s a lot of fun and so many choices! My only fear is that because of how heavy it is, it might be a shelf of shamer haha 

I could be wrong, because I haven't played it, but, my impression is that the weight does not come from rules overhead. My impression is that it is decently easy to learn and play, but there is a lot of emergent complexity. 

It is really easy once you know what’s going on and what to “look out” for (pun intended). However looking at the game setup/components and it’s classic lookout art makes it scream intimidating. I can see it swaying away most students I would play with.

It could. But, I think you make a good point that it looks more complicated than it is. 

That being said I’d still probably get it haha 

Of course 

Love4boardgames 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Assuming I didn't win this last time, all of these look great to me:

I'll be sharing about Atlantis Rising after my wife and I play this friday! But ohhhhhh man, I opened the box a few days ago and it looks incredibly good in terms of art and the production.

Love4boardgames 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game! 

So many great games 

I would be down for the quacks expansion as well. Looks great and adds even more replayability!

WadeB1977 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

#Architects of the West Kingdom and #Aftermath are probably the next two on my list.  #Clans of Caledonia is on the radar as well.

Good list.  Love me some Clans.  Architects is on my radar as well.

All three of those are very solid choices. 

Wow, what an awesome image for this giveaway! I feel strangely drawn to it, as if I've known it in another life. My pre-BGA life, perhaps?

At any rate, I think I'm going with #Spirit Island or #Scythe should this be my time to win. Of course, I will always check the prices for #Star Wars Imperial Assault before any final decisions are made, and if it's somehow under $60, that's the one for me. 

Thanks for pic xD

haha Thanks for picking it!

Lol. How humble. 

theDL 3 months ago | 1 point[-]

Hmm well I've been thinking quite a bit about #Raiders of the North Sea, but still thinking about #Viticulture: Essential Edition and #Imperial Settlers: Empires of the North! Also @nealkfrank has me considering #Concordia too...so many great options!

I got Raiders with one Expansion when I won.  And I love me some VEE.

Well, deciding on a prize would be a good problem that I likely never have (just based on odds), lol. Which one would you buy for yourself now knowing what you know about both games?

Well, your odds are still much better than the odds of the winner of the last GAW. 

Oh did they announce it? I missed it

I see you saw it. 

I see you seeing me see it!

;-P

If I was picking between the two Viticulture hands down.

Good to know!

Yes! Concordia is great!

I'm intrigued by it partly because it seems pretty different than any of the games I already have, where some of the other ones I mentioned share some similarities with some of my games.

Just looking through your collection, it looks like you do not have a lot of games with big map boards! Lots of card games, this blends an intriguing board with cool card play. 

Yep, for being a fan of board games, I own surprisingly few actual boards, haha! I  think I've read that there are some expansion maps you can buy that make it better for 2 players, is that right?

They do! The Salsa expansion is considered to be the pinnacle of expansions lol. New boards and a new resource!

Nice! I'll keep that in mind!

I think you may have misspelled my user name, that’s why I haven’t responded yet.  It has two r’s 😂.

Did you win Scott?

Unfortunately I did not.  I was making a joke. 

I don’t think it was me! Which means I don’t need to take the next 4 contests off. 

When you get a double hat trick, I propose we make you the face of BGA.

Well I think we know right now if I actually do win that I may pick up one of the West Kingdom games. 🤞🏼

Those would be a great choice. 

You need to comment on my other post.

Of course you will. 

I am always flip flopping! I would love #Le Havre as I have for a while, but I also am interested in #The Estates now, definitely more intriguing than I had thought at first!

I would like to play #The Estates

That surprises me, it is pretty heavy on the auction side of things. But the placement and scoring aspect of the game is really compelling!

I can enjoy auctions. But the placement is the hook for me. 

Of course, I wouldn't get it. I don't have the group to play it, and it wouldn't be worth it on the off chance that I can play it whenever I'm in the states. 

Goooot it that makes sense. I watched a play through the other day and it looks so great, lots of messing with people which hopefully produces laughter!

I would hope it introduces rage sometimes.

Oh ya definitely, I am realizing my group likes some interaction in our games at times, I think this would be a good one!

Rage is great with the right groups. 

Definitely! 

Especially if it is somebody else's rage. 

Ha very true! I know I can deal with it, it is a question of if THEY can!

And, it is entertaining to watch either way. 

Awww... Shucks. I have no messages from you. 

I'd probably pick some sort of Pax game. Probably #Pax Porfiriana or #Pax Emancipation. Of course #everdell is another good option as is #Robinson Crusoe

But, as always, I'd be very likely to change my mind. 

Whoever won will have fun reading all these comments. 

Lol the dead give away that you are not the one.

Yep. But that's not the reason I'm here anyway. I'm happy for whoever won, even if it us @Skurvy5

It’s not the reason I’m here either. This is such a fun community. Talking board games is the best. 

Maybe this chap or chapess who won won't claim their prize and it will come back to you. That would be something. 

Yeah, this community is pretty great. I wish I had more time to spend on here haha Come for the giveaways, stay for the people! (If you're really people and not just really cool bots...)

Beep boop bop. 

Uh oh. @Marshwiggle92 needs a new processor!

Lol

So, have you checked your messages. 

Only about 15 times. Lol. 

Same here. 

I feel as if my messages is broken. I should have received that notification by now! haha

Actually. That is me that should have. Lol

Thanks for that vote of confidence. 

...I wont be lol

Lol thanks. 

Just messing with ya :) 

Linked Topic