What did you play this week? (9/14/2020)

(9/14/2020) This is an automated weekly post to talk about the games you played last week.

63 comments | report | subscribe

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

Supporter13 days ago

I only got in #Pendulum last week. It was fun but as some of you might have heard/read, while it'll be slightly different, I feel like the same type of fun it delivers on can be had by adding a chess timer to one of my other games or putting those same sand timers on a game like Viticulture but taking out the concept/structure of seasons.

and I have been getting to games more often for playthrough videos and he'll be teaching me #Brass: Birmingham today. I'm excited!

Supporter12 days ago

Brass Birmingham is one of my favourites!  Hopefully you like it as much as I do. :)

Supporter11 days ago

I liked it a lot! Will be sharing about my experience soon

13 days ago

oo that sounds fun! Do you film the learning game? Or do you do a learning game and then do another game for the actual video?

Supporter11 days ago

The playthrough video session is when I first learn the game too, so I'm going into it fresh haha. It was like that for #Pendulum too and I froze right after the game started. #Brass: Birmingham triggered AP like no other in a number of turns.

As for Brass' playthrough video, we decided not to upload it because it just didn't seem like a fun video. We had fun, but to get it to an entertaining state, it was going to require too much editing time! I'll be sharing my first impressions soon though and Trent will also be doing a review video.

11 days ago

Huh, I guess that makes sense. Heavy Euros probably aren't super engaging to watch.

Supporter13 days ago

I'm looking forward to hearing about brass from you. 

Supporter13 days ago

Lots of gaming this week solo and otherwise!

• #Terraforming Mars (Solo, physical): One of my favourites and the first game I really enjoyed solo.  I played it with just #Terraforming Mars: Prelude as I felt like a more basic game.
  • #Spirit Island with #Spirit Island: Branch & Claw (Solo, Physical): Probably my favourite solo game when I want something meatier.  I enjoy playing with 2 spirits but bumped the difficulty up a bit much and got handily swamped!  Might be time to step it back a bit.
  • #Streets (TTS, Multiplayer): I backed this one on kickstarter.  One of the few games I've backed in a while but I really like Villagers so I figured it was a safe bet.  I enjoyed the game and I think it will get better with repeated plays.  Speaking of Villagers...
  • #Villagers (Solo, Physical x2): It's a nice easy game to setup and the solo play doesn't have too many bits to remember.  Played two games.  Narrowly lost the first one and then finally got my first win in the second game!  The solo play requires a bit different thinking than the multiplayer game which I'm finally starting to get.
  • #Ecos: First Continent (TTS, multiplayer): I quite enjoy this game.  (I enjoy most games where you create a map.)  I was trying to play too strategically to work up to one big scoring card but my plans were repeatedly (and accidentally) thwarted by the other players.  I have to remember to draft more medium level scoring cards and not to get fixated on one goal.  
  • #Trickerion (TTS, multiplayer): First time playing this game and it was super interesting!  We're going to play again next weekend now that we all have the game flow down.  The game makese more thematic sense than some of the other complex games we're tried with a couple of exceptions. Thinking ahead is super important which gave me a bit of a #Lignum feeling to it.  To have a really top score you would want to pick the top level trick you are going to go for from early on in the game.
  • #Take 5 + Take a Number (Physical, muliplayer x2): Had some friends over for a socially distanced night and they quite enjoyed Take 5.  This is turning in to a good investment.
  • #Just One (Physiical, multiplayer): Same friends, same evening, also good fun.  I think this game works best with 5+ players though.  With 4 the danger of 2 people matching creates a lot of really cautious play.

Great week for gaming!

New User7 days ago

What a great list of plays! #Ecos: First Continent has looked really neat, just waiting on a deal to come around.

I just bought #Trickerion used and am antsy for it to get here. So excited for that one. Any further thoughts on it?

Supporter6 days ago

Yeah I wanted to grab ecos ever since I saw it at SHUX last year. It's fun and you can play it without being too hard core and have fun but there is also some good strategy in there too.

Trickerion was interesting. Pretty tight play and a game where you always wish you had one more action all the time. 

The way the shows work is a bit odd but also very important to know to do well in a game. 

Mind you, I've only had the one play and I think it took one entire play to get the end to end flow even though I've played hundreds of different games. 

So really my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt. :)

New User6 days ago

This helps, though! It sounds exactly like what I enjoy. Really neat, thanks :)

13 days ago

Wow that's a ton! I saw the Streets Kickstarter. I've never played Villagers. It looks like it may be fun but it hasn't quite grabbed me enough to want to buy it for myself.

Supporter12 days ago

Was more of a physical play week vs digital this week I guess.  :)

I like Villagers a lot.  It's reasonably straightforward but has enough depth to keep interest.  Streets appears to have the same DNA but with some more interactive and thinky play to it.  

Of course, that's based on one play of streets.  See if you can find the game on TTS.  I am not sure if it is open to everyone or just backers at the moment. 

13 days ago

Boy, moving into a new house is tough on the gaming lol.

This week I got two games in.

• #Gaia Project @ 2p - Man this game just gets so much better with each play...I thought it may grow old but it is such an interesting decision space that I keep wanting more! I lost because of one decision I made and that tortures me lol. Definitely cannot wait to get more plays in!
  • #7 Wonders Duel - the wife actually suggested playing this the other night and I was more than willing to oblige! It really is a neat game! I won by citizen scoring, but I had almost won earlier with a military win as well! Even as a gamer who leans toward more heavy stuff this is really satisfying and quick!

Supporter13 days ago

Gaia Project is one of my favourites.  I've never played it at 2 though.  What do you think is the main diifferent between 2 players vs 3 - 4 players?

New User7 days ago

I don't particularly like Gaia Project at 2. It feels much harder to gaia-form planets since there's not enough time. Maybe I'm missing something though since everyone else seems to like it at 2?

Supporter6 days ago

No idea. I've never had the option to try it at 2. Maybe the next time it happens that we have 2 we can give it a whirl. 

13 days ago

The two biggest differences are you have a tighter board and less time between turns. 

You only have 7 platters used instead of 10 so you really only have 4 home planets for each faction. It makes it pretty hard to get more than 2 federations if you do not have the ability to Gaia-form. 

Supporter13 days ago

Interesting.  I have no one at home that is interested in board games and my group is usually 3+ players.  Sometimes I feel like I am missing out on a whole other facet of games with not playing 2 player version of my games!

13 days ago

I have been the same way, but with COVID hitting I have been limited in options, plus a guy in my group has an open invitation each week to come over for dinner and games so it makes it easier lol. 

Supporter12 days ago

That's cool.  I have played 2 player games a couple of times and quite enjoyed it.  There's a different feel to it. #Heaven & Ale at 2 is much different than playing it at 4.

12 days ago

I could totally see that game playing differently with 2, is there a big difference in set up with that? I could see it being really easy to fill up your fields!

Supporter12 days ago

The setup is reasonably similar but you get much fewer turns so I think it's generally just as hard to fill everything.  Entirely doable mind you.

13 days ago

Ah man I haven't play 7WD in a while! My wife didn't like it the first time but she's said she wants to try it again, so we'll have to get to that soon.

New User7 days ago

I was surprised that I enjoyed #7 Wonders more than Duel at 2 players. Totally not the typical opinion but that was just how I felt about it. 

6 days ago

You know I've never actually tried the 2 player variant. I'll have to read the rules for it.

13 days ago

It really is a nice little game. Fairly intuitive once you know everything and the decision space is fairly small each turn. I like it way more than the original 7W

13 days ago

I still enjoy the original a lot, but yeah man Duel is really great. Have you ever played using the Pantheon expansion?

13 days ago

I have not played with the expansions for either the original or Duel. Does it add a lot?

13 days ago

Pantheon is really cool. I'd definitely say it's one to get after you feel like the original is getting a bit stale. It opens up your options by adding the special cards that have special abilities. So you can kind of play toward getting a couple of those, and it also means that you can take turns without taking a card from the standard display. In the base game, you have to take one of those cards every single turn. The stuff in the expansion means that you can take a turn without taking one of those.

13 days ago

That really would change the game quite a bit! There was a moment where I almost won it because my wife HAD to take a specific card revealing a really beneficial card for me, lucky for her I did not have enough money lol. 

13 days ago

Yep, in that case she could take the new action instead of revealing a card for you

13 days ago

I had an awesome week, game-wise! Obviously Monday was Labor Day, but my wife and I also took Tuesday off to celebrate our anniversary, so that helped too. On Friday I had a friend come over and we played 3 different games as well!

• #Res Arcana @ 2p - our second time playing this. I enjoyed it a lot! I actually won this time, haha
  • #Everdell @ 2p - I beat her by ONE POINT somehow. It was a high-scoring game for us (68-67)
  • #Root @ 3p - finished a TTS game we had started the week before. I won as the Eyrie!
  • #Paladins of the West Kingdom @ 2p - my friend brought this over again and this time be beat me BY ONE POINT. How do so many of our games finish this way lol
  • #Horrified @ 3p - we showed our friend this one for the first time. We played against the Wolfman and the Creature From The Black Lagoon and eked out a victory (if we took one more hit, we'd have lost)
  • #War Chest 3x @ 2p - my friend and I played 3 times in a row. We love this game!
  • #Wingspan @ 2p with my wife - nice Saturday morning game. It plays fairly quickly with 2 players who know the game well. She beat my by a comfortable margin
  • #Dune with #Dune: Ixians & Tleilaxu House Expansion @ 5p - the one I've been looking forward to for a couple of weeks. We had one guy cancel last minute, which was kind of annoying, but the game was still lots of fun. It was a very weird game - no Atreides or Harkonnen, no alliances ever, almost ended on round 1. It actually went 4 rounds, which is by far the shortest one we've played. If there's interest I can write up a full postgame report.

11 days ago

Lots of plays for you this week! I keep meaning to ask you...any idea how your friend fits all of #Paladins of the West Kingdom in the box?! I tried my best with our extra baggies but the lid still doesn't sit on it correctly lol. Any suggestions?

11 days ago

Haha, I'm actually the one who does it for him. I'm more obsessive about storage than he is lol. Yeah it's baggies. I think there is one bag with the bigger cards and two with small cards...then just baggies for everything else, all laid flat on top of each other. Next time we play I'll try to remember to take a couple pics, though I'm not sure when that will be.

11 days ago

Awesome I appreciate that!

Supporter12 days ago

We need to get a game of Root in together in TTS.  I'd love to hear how #Dune went.  I've been watching a lot of videos and I think I'm going to be okay playing it at 4 or 5 players.

12 days ago

Already posted about it: https://www.boardgameatlas.com/forum/pGBZDRJVKZ/postgame-report--dune-w-ixians--tleilaxu-expansion

I'd be interested in that! Maybe we can get a couple other BGA people as well.

Yeah I think works at 5, never played 4 but it probably works too. But from what I understand it just shines at 6.

Supporter12 days ago

Yeah, I think overall it would be best at 6, but I still think it'll give me a great experience at 4 and 5.  I'm hoping we will get it out in December/January.

12 days ago

Awesome! I hope you do :)

Supporter13 days ago

I'm interested in a report on dune. 

13 days ago

I'll make one later today then! Maybe on my lunch break.

Supporter13 days ago

👍

Supporter13 days ago

Oh man, looks like an awesome week!  We are wanting to play Dune but are having trouble getting more than 3 players interested so we'll wait a bit longer.  

Out of the rest of the games I haven't played Horrified or War Chest but those two both look interesting. 

13 days ago

Horrified is a fun, light co-op game with a great theme. I think it plays similar to Pandemic (never played), but the theme is more fun IMO.

War Chest immediately became one of my favorite games, and one I'll play any day.

13 days ago

MAN you get a lot of gaming in. You really seem to have found the sweet spot with a lot of the games you own and play!

13 days ago

Haha, I have had some big weeks lately. Usually it's a couple of games a week with my wife, and maybe one or two with friends.

13 days ago

Definitely jealous that the wife likes to game as much as she does! I am lucky if I can get one game in each week with her!

13 days ago

She's definitely warmed up to it a lot more in the last couple years

13 days ago

What has been the shift?

13 days ago

Just getting more used to it, I think. At first it was kind of a thing she would do with me just because she loved me, but she's begun to enjoy them more, and overcome some things that kept her from enjoying them in the past. She's even commented that she wants to make sure we keep playing throughout our lives, since she can notice a difference in her mental skills haha

13 days ago

That is great! I love that she see the mental benefits of it!

13 days ago

Yeah I thought that was great!

12 days ago

Let's see...

I played #Tags with my future in laws last weekend and got in a few games of #Monikers and #5-Minute Marvel as well. Pretty fun time with all 3 although I think Monikers is their new favorite.

Then at some point during the week #Paladins of the West Kingdom arrived so my fiance and I tried that out. Scored pretty low from what I could tell so it will take some more plays to optimize moves better. Even with the low scoring, it was a close game!

#Food Chain Magnate also arrived. I was fairly sure my fiance would hate this one so it was a pleasant surprise she actually enjoyed it. We played it twice, once on Wednesday and once yesterday. We both made some rookie mistakes so we'll see how we can better our play moving forward.

Finally, played a couple of games of #Codenames: Duet online. Nice way to end the week!

New User7 days ago

Super curious about #Food Chain Magnate. It seems crazy expensive for the theme somehow, even though that's not logical. Would love to play but can't bring myself to spend the cash. 

7 days ago

I actually took a gamble on whether or not my fiancé would like it and so far so good! You can try it out online at http://play.boardgamecore.net. I taught my friend how to play this past week and it almost made me regret my physical purchase. I still much prefer my physical copy because it was difficult to see what everyone else is doing which is pretty important to keep up with milestones. I would say it's definitely worth the buy!

New User6 days ago

Oh cool! Thanks for the tip! 

New User12 days ago

I played my first play through of#A Feast For Odin 2p. Man this is a big game. Not sure we got everything right, but def. not the last time playing it. I will have to read the rule book once again to get all the actions right for next time.

New User7 days ago

So far I've played #One Small Step since the kickstarter arrived. I really enjoyed it. Exactly the type of resource-management game I like and the theme with history is great.

Also played #Vindication for the first time. This one is a stunningly beautiful game. The art and components is top notch. Gameplay was alright. It just didn't feel as momentous as I was expecting so I'll have to give it another go.

New User7 days ago

Oh, I also got in #Mountaineers. Picked the game up on an auction for $15, but paid for shipping it bringing it up to $40. It ended up being the collectors edition from the Kickstarter which originally cost $115 plus shipping so I was pretty astonished.

Quite a fun game! Planning the routes and trying not to get sabotauged, plus managing resources and dealing with the 3D mountain, it was all really fun. It's a keeper.

Supporter11 days ago

• #Quadropolis - This was my first game of this. Thinkier tile choices than #Suburbia but easier tile scoring.
  • #Mapmaker: The Gerrymandering Game - Another game of Mapmaker. Still really loving this one.
  • #Star Realms - Our first game in awhile. Between my son and I our series is scored with me at 17 games and him at 15 games with him taking this round.

11 days ago

On a city-building kick?

12 days ago

We played #Raiders of Scythia this week.  I never played raiders of the North Sea, but i really enjoyed this game.  I have played all the West Kingdom games (so far) and do enjoy Shem Phillips games quite a bit anyway, but this game is a little different than those.  Building your raiding party and gathering your resources all the while watching your opponents and trying to figure out where they may go so you can try to get there first becaue your crew gets bonuses for going there...fun.  Its a great combination of engine building and resource gathering but unlike other games where there's very little interaction, there are limited places to raid and within those limited worker types are needed so you have to plan ahead.  I'll need red in two turns but all that is available is grey and blue but it looks like player 2 has red so as long as player 3 doesn't grab it i should be able to get it...and then player 3 grabs it and you're like why did you take that you don't have enough resources to raid that spot only to realize she has a crewmate that reduces the cost of resources for raids...ugh!...but this is what makes the game great.  Alternatively you don't really have to play the rading game all that much as you can go down the Quest path and pick thise up and score huge points just as my wife did and came screaming from third place at the end of the game to be way out in front...she ended up coming in seocond by 5 points but still...just one more quest and she would have won...Hoping to play again tonight and try out some different strats...but overall I'd recoomend this.