Santorini New York - Santorini but in... New York?

This week is packed with exciting announcements for upcoming titles. First, Fantasy Flight Games released details on the expansion for Twilight Imperium 4th Edition, then Repos Production announced the new edition for 7 Wonders coming this September, and now?

Santorini New York

If you're a fan of classic abstracts that puts two players in a head to head tactical battle, Santorini is one you must check out. It combines the feels of Chess, Go, and plays like a 3D tic-tac-toe on an expanded grid. It also allows a max player count of 4, but to be honest, I wouldn't recommend it beyond two players.

Well, Roxley will be releasing a standalone sequel centered in the bustling New York setting. Mythological characters and their powers will be overlayed with a metropolitan skin and will feature asymmetrical powers of an Engineer, Foreman, Taxi Driver, and others, while still having that charming aesthetic created by the illustrator duo—Mr. Cuddington.

This isn't just a theme swap, though. Santorini New York features a Statue of Liberty that will add additional objectives that you will need to check off in order to trigger the win condition. Here's a look at the back of the box that explains just about everything.

So, how does this all look?

I personally think this would be a must-buy for those who already own and love Santorini. And honestly, the theme is quite charming and it's great to see an added depth and difficulty to the game.

Here's Trent's video covering the news:

Please log in or make an account to post a comment.

3 days ago

I read the rules and found what the skyscrapers are: special buildings that only a certain type of worker can build. Screenshot:

3 days ago

Did this upload as blurry as it looks from my phone? Anyway, you can get the rules on BGG if this didn't turn out well haha

3 days ago

Attempt #2 from a desktop

Supporter2 days ago

Thanks for the pictures! Very interesting, so you're no longer playing as one role and can swap it out in each turn. Definitely seems to be raising up the level of complexity

2 days ago

Yeah so each player gets dealt a hand at the beginning of the game, and there's a simultaneous card selection, and turn order is determined by the selected cards for that round. After all players have exhausted their hands (I think it's 5 cards), you shuffle up and re-deal. It does seem more complex, but sounds pretty fun.

4 days ago

Rulebook is out now, apparently is has variable starting card setup, hand management and card action selection player elimination and no team vs team like the original. Interesting!

Supporter2 days ago

I do appreciate the simplicity of the original but I like the sound of this one! Just too bad that head to head abstracts aren't my wife's favorites haha

41 hours ago

Sounds good indeed! I'm definitely new to give this one a go!

4 days ago

Planning to buy the original one but this one seems real interesting!

4 days ago

Oh, i like the look of this

4 days ago

Well that looks delightful. I'm all for losing the ancient gods theme for something more general.

Supporter4 days ago

I like the theme! I mean, I do enjoy the mythological references but I like that it's more relatable.

Supporter4 days ago

This is sorta cool. 

Supporter4 days ago

What do you think ?

4 days ago

Welp. I'm buying it.

Supporter4 days ago

It sure looks well done. Honestly, I like it more than the original. Also, I wonder what those orange skyscrapers do? I'm guessing they will be for variable setup and serve as obstacles maybe? Hmmm either way, I like the additional complexity they're introducing.

4 days ago

Could be. I love the look of this one. Have you been able to try the Golden Fleece expansion for Santorini?

Supporter2 days ago

Nope, I haven't. My wife isn't too into head to head abstracts so our copy has only gotten 2-3 plays haha. We'll likely still keep it just so that I can play it with my son in the future!

What does the Golden Fleece expansion introduce?

2 days ago

Ah I see, same for my wife unfortunately, haha. Luckily I have friends and co-workers who enjoy them. 

The expansion adds 2 game modes. One is Hero powers: instead of having the god power throughout the game, each player has a hero power that is a one-time use ability.

The second is the Golden Fleece variant: there's a golden ram mini that gets placwd before the game, and a single god power is drawn. Players don't have their own god powers, but any player who has a worker adjacent to the ram mini has the power for that turn. Both modes give the game a different feel, and both are a lot of fun!

Linked Games
Santorini New York
Linked Topic