philryuh

The Nominees for 2020 Spiel des Jahres have been announced!

Spiel des Jahres ("Family-Style" Game of the Year)

Kennerspiel des Jahres (Connosisseur-Enthusiast Game of the Year)

(Recommended titles: #Paladins of the West Kingdom, #Res Arcana, #Underwater Cities)

Kinderspiel des Jahres (Children's Game of the Year)

You can find more info here: https://www.spiel-des-jahres.de/die-nominierten-2020/

So, what do you think? Aside from Spiel and Kinderspiel, I expected Cartographers and The Crew but had no idea that The King's Dilemma would make it on there. I suspect it has a low chance of winning though, given the history of the past winners, but maybe I'll be wrong!

5 points by philryuh - updated 8 days ago | 24 comments | report | subscribe

BenjaminK 14 days ago | 4 points[-]

Out of all of those, I've only played #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale so I'll have to put my money on that one :)

philryuh Supporter13 days ago | 1 point[-]

After all those times you've mentioned about the game, looks like we've all been missing out (at least in getting a great roll n write experience) :)

BenjaminK 13 days ago | 2 points[-]

Call me a hipster, but I liked Cartographers before it was cool haha

Skyw3rd 14 days ago | 4 points[-]

Well I'm pulling for Cartographers. I just got it during quarantine and I've played it 5 or 6 times already which is rare for me.

I'm pretty sure The Crew will win.

I think I saw Cartographers being free on Tabletopia or TTS. I should learn the rules and give it a go! I have no clue which will take it, but I doubt it'll be #The King's Dilemma.

Skyw3rd 13 days ago | 1 point[-]

Sometimes it's just an honor to be nominated.

xldh 11 days ago | 2 points[-]

I had only even heard of two of the nominees until they were released... I have not played any of them.

philryuh Supporter11 days ago | 1 point[-]

I wanted to order #Nova Luna for Trent to review it because I figured a lot of us don't know anything about it haha. It's already sold out and the ones available are around 40-50% more expensive :(

I did order #Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale and #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine though so we'll see reviews for them from Trent before the winners are announced hopefully

xldh 11 days ago | 2 points[-]

Cartographers and the King's Dilemma are the two I had heard of. I will watch for Trent's reviews.

LScott 13 days ago | 2 points[-]

Thanks for sharing this news! I always like to follow this competition and this is the first I have seen of this year's nominations. You've got something interesting in every issue. 🙂

You're welcome! It's always fun sharing about these type of news and seeing everyone's take on it.

LedBretter 14 days ago | 2 points[-]

#Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale is very good and hard to beat at the price point.  I also picked up a copy of #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine and that is very good as well.  Would be happy to see either win.  

I’ve heard of the Spiel nominees but. It played them.  Knizia nominated again as seems to be the case each year.  

Garphill Games is doing so well too, first getting #Raiders of the North Sea nominated in 2017, #Architects of the West Kingdom recommended in 2019, and now getting #Paladins of the West Kingdom recommended for 2020. That's amazing!

WadeB1977 14 days ago | 2 points[-]

These are pretty interesting selections.  Most I haven't played (only cartographers).  #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine is on my wish list though.

nealkfrank 14 days ago | 2 points[-]

Wow, I am shocked #Wavelength did not get nominated. Maybe it did not qualify?

Courageous Bob 14 days ago | 1 point[-]

I have heard a few of my friends raving about it but haven't had the opportunity to try it myself. Would you rank it in your top 3 of the year?

nealkfrank 14 days ago | 1 point[-]

I personally have not played it but I have only heard great things about it! I do know that the Spiel awards are particular with how a game can qualify though!

Marshwiggle92 Supporter14 days ago | 2 points[-]

Spiel:

• I'm not terribly surprised by #Nova Luna. I have mostly heard very good things about it, and, it is attached to a very good name. 
  • My City. This was completely unfamiliar to me, though it does look sorta cool. Is it even out in the US? 
  • Pictures. I don't really know anything about this game, though I seem to remember Tom Vassel doing a review of it some months ago. 

Kennerspiel:

1. The kings dilemma, from what I understand, great choice. 
  2. Cartographers?? I think it might for better in the Spiel. 
  3. The Crew.... I think this should win a award. But, it also seems like it might be a better fit in the Spiel. 

I have no opinions at all about the kinderspiel. 

This year's Kennerspiel des Jahres skewed to the light side even more than 2019's nominees (#Carpe Diem#Detective: A Modern Crime Game#Wingspan). #Architects of the West Kingdom was a "recommended" game in 2019 that didn't get nominated, and Paladins is going through the same treatment this year. Garphill Games sure is doing well!

I'm thinking about ordering one game from the Spiel side and one game from Kennerspiel side so that Trent can review them. I think I'll likely go with #Nova Luna and #The Crew: The Quest for Planet Nine

Marshwiggle92 Supporter12 days ago | 1 point[-]

15-25 years ago the Spiel winners tended to be heavier than the Kennerspiel stuff is now. I think of games like:

#El Grande bgg weight 3.06.

#Tikal 2.80

#torres 2.87

Of course there were lighter ones as well, but, now it seems like if it is over a 2.5 weight it  probably won't even win the kennerspiel. 

If you will only get two nominees, then those two are probably the ones to get, though, I believe that My City looks pretty interesting. 

stainedglasshouse 14 days ago | 1 point[-]

spot on

Skurvy5 Supporter14 days ago | 2 points[-]

Huh. I’m not familiar with any of the Spiel nominees. The Kennerspiel... hmmm. Maybe Chris is right...?

Courageous Bob 14 days ago | 1 point[-]

Me neither, although that it is good to know there are some great games out there I have yet to discover! I can definitely see the crew taking it.

Marshwiggle92 Supporter14 days ago | 1 point[-]

Of course I am.... LOL. 

Right about what exactly?? 

Linked Topic